Hello

My craft room

My craft room
Small view from one side

Pages

Search This Blog

2 in leather band and crystals

2 in leather band and crystals

@ in leather band with crystals

@ in leather band with crystals

Large bangle braclet/watch

Large bangle braclet/watch

Tuesday, March 9, 2010

A gray and damp Monday

Yes its a dark and gray day here, woke up this am to thick fog, but I won't let this day get me down or lazy, I have too many things to do. Does the weather effect you? Many tines it does me but not today. Time seems to fly away and I haven't gotten half of what I wanted to do, done. .
I mentioned in my opening post, that the crafting world really opened up, I'd say really opened up about 15 or 18 yrs ago. I am sure many could tell me what it was that caught on fire so, for the inventors of crafting tools etc. but I actually think it just may have started with the scrap booking wave, to tell you the truth, I thought it wouldn't last that long and we would be on to something new, boy was I wrong. Years ago when you went to a craft show, you saw isles and isles of hand painted wood items, and floral arrangements, a few felt items and quilts. Now you see everything, you name it or imagine it and you will see it. I started selling some items, mostly jewelry, at the shows when making earrings and such out of Friendly Plastic and heavy weight water color paper and material became popular, I made a ton of them, and did a good business at it. We used a product call Stiffy and it made the paper or material hard as a rock and just like plastic. By then the stamping world opened up, for scrap bookers, and soon we were busy buying every item and ink out there for stamping. Soon we were adding sparkle and pen colors and well you name it to our stamped items, and the little stamp stores were opening up everywhere. You don't even want to know how many stamps I have, and every gadget that went with it,and were stamping everything from cards to scrapbooks to clothing, stamping into clay and on glass and wood and on and on, but the scrap booking business was moving on also. Right next to the stamping isles in the craft stores, were paper isles and all kinds of different cutting tools to make the paper look different. Pretty soon you needed to learn about layouts and color combo's and before you knew it, there were isles just for embellishments. Now we have die cutting machines and book making machines and well who know what will be next? Isn't that exciting? It is to me,of course along with this, you have to have the budget to keep up with all the new items and toys for crafting. That is where the problem comes in for many of us, especially if you like to do more than one craft. When I go into a craft store or really when I visit one of my many online crafting companies, I'm like a kid being sent to the toy store or one who is reading, the Sears toy catalog at Christmas, I want it all. Many years ago, I have a little table in the corner of my family room where I made my items or painted, and I would drag out the containers with the paints etc. Then I added a big easel and soon a bigger container for paints alone. And before I knew it I had taken over a large part of one little room which was also the office, that too got way too small for my "stuff" because by then there were tons of new items for polymer claying, stamping, scraping, painting,and beading. I didn't know where to put anything anymore and many times this spoiled my creating side of crafting, along with the ton of books for every kind of crafting known to man. My hubby blames Carol Duvall for this. I guess someone has to take the credit? In the last year or so, the word Studio has become popular, that is because we crafters, the serious ones, have to have a place to put all of our "stuff" and still have room to craft in, ask any crafter about her studio, be it a bedroom taken over or a place in the basement or garage and they will tell you what they need the most, besides product, is ROOM...We never have enough room or storage. I've learned from other bloggers, secrets about storing and have invented a few of my own, its a big problem if you want to keep up and still create. Some people who craft can do so without being organized, not me, I can't function well if I don't know where things are that I need at a ready, right now I even have a place, for my sewing machine and material and I don't have to put them away, like I did before. Of course if I had my complete dream fulfilled, it would be to have a room about the size of a hall, with a sink and tons of cabinets built in all over and still be near my bedroom, because some nights when I wake up and can't sleep, I like to go in and make something. More tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment